Sunday, October 4, 2009

Having trouble not slouching in my chair right now.

Ok, so I know that I've failed to write anything of interest recently... or anything at all for that matter. But, all that is changing at this moment. Ta DA! I'm back on blogger. Last night I spent the whole day from 11 am to 1:30 am at the dance studio. It was a marathon that I don't suggest to anyone unconditioned for it. It was actually a bit much for even me. Since I spent the end of the day all on the balls of my feet for an Argentine Tango milonga (and the soles of dance shoes are little more than suede), when I woke up this morning I found that my feet were still baring a grudge from last night's abuse.

But despite my late night activities, I forced myself to get up and go to a breakfast/bible study that I had been invited to on Sunday mornings at a place called Conrad's in Downtown Pasadena... at 8:00 am! I muscle myself out of bed and once again on to my protesting feet. I get dressed, wash my face, maneuver my motorcycle out of the garage and the cars that have been parked specifically to impede my exit, and ride downtown to meet my friends... who turn out not to be there. Arg... Yeah, so I decide to go to church early--which was nice. I got to sit in the huge (but nearly empty auditorium) and listen to the choir and orchestra run through some of it's music for the service. It was a wonderful moment of relaxation for me. I was listening to high quality live music performed by people who are truly connected to the reason they perform, not just the specifics of the performance itself. I sat there in the middle of the room and let the music and the emotions slip over and through me like slippery spaghetti through chopsticks.

Come to think of it--I must have looked a bit out of place in my heavy leather jacket as the blue-haired crowed all came in and found their mutually agreed upon seats throughout the auditorium. Before long, a nervous-eyed usher shuffled his way over to me and gave me the most awkwardly short church greetings I've had. He simply walked up to where I was sitting, said "hi," shook my hand and then quickly shuffled away never to look my direction again. So that was awkward.

But not as awkward as the look I got from one of the girls that I was dancing with last night! So, I was at the milonga dancing my poor feet into rebellion and I asked this classy looking 25 to play younger to dance. She accepted and we danced one song, after which I thanked her, and was about to walk away when an incredibly offended/confused look overtook over her face. When I asked her if she was alright, she was gracious enough to ask me if I knew that I had just issued her an insult by only dancing one song with her and not an entire tanda. I didn't even know what a tanda was! I apologized and explained that I was just learning Argentine and that I was used to ballroom where it is expected that I change partners every dance. I told her that I would love to continue dancing, but even with her honor restored, her sensibilities remained offended so she refuse my offer. So for all of you out there who wish to avoid a similar situation on the Tango floor, allow me to explain the tanda rule. A tanda is a set of four songs in a row. These may or may not be separated by a cortina. A cortina piece of non-dance music played between the tanda which a time where either dance partner may (without insult) thank their partner and go their separate ways. Though it is permissible for a lead (the man) to thank his partner and move on, but it is interpreted as an insult to the lady's dancing. So, guys: if you ever want to dance with her again, then dance with her till you hear Cold Play or Jack Johnson start playing.

Back to breaking news, so I went to The Bridge today, and I am really glad I did. The was a guest there who spoke about her journey as an artist (she's a published novelist). And from listening to her talk about her process, I realized why writing has been so difficult for me recently. Its because I haven't been keeping up my blog! So for those of you who still follow my blog, expect more posts. Because I am ready to start writing. I need to be writing. So you're going to have more to read. :D Cheers!

No comments: