Sunday, May 3, 2009

Through a Window, Pain., Quinn, Quinn, Quinn, Other Things

Through a Window, Pain.

So I put my foot through the side window in my living room. Not on purpose, of course. I meant to push off the wall. See, I was lying down on my stomach in the window seat working on my computer, but I got uncomfortable being in the same position after a while. So, I put my foot up behind me to push off to wall and the next thing I knew I was lying on the floor with a bloody foot. Lucky for me I had a friend nearby who was able to run to the store for me and get the bandages I needed to patch myself up. It's been about a week since that happened, but I just thought people might like to know why I have a scar the shape of the Nike symbol on my foot. No it is not because they have asked me to be a spokes person for their new line of frizbee apparel... not yet anyway. ;)

Quinn, Quinn, Quinn,

The problem with telling stories is that the longer you wait to write them down, the less interesting they seam to you. This story was one that, at the time, was very entertaining for me. Hopefully it is for you readers, because then you can comment on it an remind me why. :D 

So I serving at a wedding last week and having a pretty good time doing it too. The bride and groom were both attractive people and so were their friends. Maybe I'm shallow but when you work two weddings a week little things like an attractive and happy wedding party are a big plus. One of the best things about this wedding was that right off the father of the bride got completely smashed. It was great because he's a happy drunk. So was it came to his turn to talk into the microphone and express his blessing (note this immediately after the pastor prayed a tender moving prayer over the young couple) he took it upon himself to introduce everyone in the extended family like he was playing duck, duck, goose. He was hurriedly fumbling around the dinning room, "...and, and this is grandmother (insert asian name) she is weally, weally, old but this was impotant so she made it.... and this this is (insert bride's name)'s cousin Quinn. Lovely Quinn..." The entire wait staff and I had such a hard time not laughing that we all went back in the kitchen cause we couldn't take it anymore. Well later on that night after dinner was served I was helping with the coffee service. Who should I run into but Quinn. Lovely Quinn. Quinn actually works at a Starbucks around here somewhere and wanted to know what kind of coffee we used because she liked it so much. Well, as she was telling her the particular brand we use and (of course) setting her up with a refill... she looked into my eyes I saw it happen. She got hooked. Now I'm not going to say this about all girls, but there is generally a specific moment when girls go from simple conversation to something else, and at that moment ten thousand jiggawatts of pheromones come shooting out their eyes in a ruthless attempt to paralyze their targets. The female will then calmly attempt to bind their prey with invisible threads all the while distracting their prey with their attractive physical attributes, intelligence, talent, and sometimes wealth (aka "womanly whiles") . Some attacks of this nature can be more lethal than others based on the female's execution and the male's escape reflexes. Luckily for me I was at work, and avoided her attack simply because I wasn't paying attention. :D I was however momentarily stunned which gave her time to talk a little bit more (I don't remember what she said), write me a note, and tell me to meet her at the bar. After she got up to leave and I got over the surprise of what just happened, I realized I had no idea how old she was. Being asian, she, as well as several of the girls at the reception, had that ambiguous young look to them which makes it impossible to guess their age. It kinda creeped me out a little because since I got my hair cut nearly every guest at the country club thinks I'm sixteen or seventeen. I really didn't want to end up going on a date with some girl that is still in high school but just looks older. Talk about awkward! Anyway, by the time I finished serving the last couple tables and headed up to the bar, she had apparently gotten her drink, gotten bored, and wandered off somewhere else. Oh well. No loss to me. Later on though she was able to find me again. This time she was a bit more insistent. She gave me her phone number and insisted I send her a text. So I did. The DJ was playing some good music, so I texted "do you dance?" No answer. She ran into me later but was helping nearly dead grandmother out to her car. She once again insisted that I call her and go out some time. Well, it was a good two days before I did finally call Quinn. Unfortunately for her and her hunting instincts she should have given me her number before she went to the bar because she gave me the wrong number. :D I escaped without ever having to find out her age. 

Other Stories

For those of you who don't know: I love good bread. I'm snacking on some that I bought off the day old rack at Food 4 Less. It's not really important, but I couldn't help but mention it. Maybe I shouldn't say this either, but I have taken to pseudo-racing on my way home from work on the 134. It's nothing dangerous cause the freeway is pretty much empty and I'm not going much faster than I do when I am going to work. That said, it is pretty interesting and to do. I'll be riding along the freeway at a nice calm 80, then I'll see some guy burning up the road towards me. About the time they get to me I roll on the throttle and just try to stay level with 'em. It really isn't hard because I get to use the carpool lane so I never even have to go between cars. I don't really even ride to beat them or anything. I just try to stay even, cause otherwise it wouldn't be interesting. I'd win because they'd get stuck behind some cars and then I'd be bored. That's what ends up happening most the time anyway, though.

This last friday was a bit stressful. We had an outdoor wedding that go rained out. In the middle of the reception, right after we served the salad and right before we served the entre we had to pull the entire reception inside. The wind was blowing so hard, in fact, that some of the big hanging paper lanterns started falling on the guests and for some reason sparks were shooting out of one of the extension cords that was up there too! It was a really good thing that the bride was a really good sport. In fact, when she decided to take the wedding inside, and everyone was worried about getting hit with either electric sparks, rain, or falling paper lantern of death, she was all happy and encouraged everyone to hit the drinks because there was an open bar.

No comments: